Your new role
Highways England is building its Strategic Asset Planning capability. You will lead a new team which will design and introduce policies, processes and systems to deliver consistent strategic asset planning for the Strategic Road Network, consolidating the learning from developing our Strategic Business Plan for 2020-25.
Ideally you will be an experienced strategic asset planner looking to apply your skills in a new dynamic; willing to think creatively and bring value to a sector that has much opportunity to offer. You will be responsible for leadership and development of your team to deliver activities which set the overall investment strategy and direction. You will probably come from an infrastructure organisation and have experience of utility regulation.
This role is intended to be based in Bristol, although other Highways England office locations will be considered for the right candidate (Guildford, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester). Day-time travel to other offices will be necessary on a reasonably frequent basis.
What you'll be leading on
* Contribute to the leadership and management of the team, taking responsibility for the development and delivery of activities in line with the business plan and supporting the Head of Regulatory Monitoring and Divisional Director in setting overall strategy and direction.
* Provide subject matter leadership, leading the development and evaluation of solutions, supporting the team in resolving strategic and technical issues, providing authoritative advice and guidance to internal stakeholders and representing the interests of Highways England with external stakeholders
* Engage with senior stakeholders across Highways England and externally to ensure a strong understanding of business needs, to promote and gain commitment to Strategy and Planning's objectives and solutions, to identify key areas for improvement and to share best practices.
* Implement appropriate project management methodologies to ensure the effective planning and control of project activities, the identification and mitigation of risks and effective management of project performance
* Commission and manage external expert and consultancy support as appropriate; and evaluate and act on such advice to ensure objectives are achieved
To be successful
* Proven experience of developing solutions and providing specialist advice in strategic asset management planning, including creation and use of decision making and risk based frameworks.
* Experience in driving enterprise-wide change in asset management.
* Ability to demonstrate a thorough understanding of regulated infrastructure organisations, frameworks and strategic business planning. Ideally you will have developed strategic asset investment plans within such an organisation and experienced regulatory cycles.
* Ability to lead delivery in a complex environment to tight deadlines, with experience of the successful delivery of similar complex projects or change programmes.
* Strong networking and communication skills, including experience of managing stakeholder relationships to achieve desired outcomes, and the ability to communicate effectively and concisely at all levels. You will be a natural team leader and inclusive communicator.
* Qualification in asset management, engineering or equivalent subject and membership of a relevant professional institution would be desirable
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning plays a crucial role at the heart of Highways England, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all the other directorates to enable delivery of the company's ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, develop our strategic business plan to deliver the government's road investment strategy, provide high quality analyses to the rest of the organisation and lead on our key corporate initiatives, then we're the right place for you.
Want to know more?
Take a look at the role profile to find out more.
Why you should join us
At Highways England, safety is our number one priority. It is one of our core values, as well as a behaviour we expect from our people.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you'll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We're always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.