ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Aldersgate Group is an alliance of leaders from business, politics and civil society that drives action for a sustainable and competitive economy. Our members include some of the largest businesses in the UK from a wide range of economic sectors with a collective global turnover of over £550bn. Other members also include leading NGOs, professional institutes, public sector bodies and academic institutions.
We are politically impartial and champion the important role of the business sector in moving the UK towards a zero carbon, resource efficient and nature positive economy. Our work is supported by a highly knowledgeable and multi-sectoral board of directors and also receives input from our chair, the Rt Hon Theresa May MP, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and from our Honorary President, Prof Emily Shuckburgh OBE.
WHY JOIN US?
This is an exciting time for the Aldersgate Group. The Group has been heavily involved in the setting of the UK's net zero target, the development of the Environment Act and the government's flagship strategies on net zero, industrial decarbonisation, buildings and heat, transport, hydrogen, green finance and resource efficiency. The Group is actively involved in ensuring the UK government implements the Net Zero Strategy and other sectoral strategies, as well as making sure that its economic recovery package and trade policy are in line with the UK's climate and environmental targets.
As part of its activities, the Aldersgate Group regularly carries out research on all topics of climate change and environmental policy, publishes several reports, holds numerous roundtables and high-profile public events and is very active on social and mainstream media.
Purpose of the role
The successful candidate will join a small Secretariat of eight employees in a newly created part time or full time role to provide executive support to the Executive Director, as well as support the Operations Manager with the day-to-day running of the office.
Main duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Diary management and appointment making
- Transcribing meeting notes and setting task reminders for action
- Ensuring follow up appointments are actioned
- Support with email management and correspondence preparation
- Managing business expenses
- Organising travel and team events
- Provide external events assistance: help with event logistics, including catering management, proof reading invitations, supporting the RSVP process and transcribing notes at events
- Provide internal events assistance: assist with the planning and arrangements of Board and staff events
- Support the Operations Manager: support with payment systems administration, basic book keeping, expenses collation, member engagement administration and other organisational tasks
- Proof reading and communications support: help to keep the website up to date, proof read reports and communications, and provide back up on social media.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience of working in an administrative role in a dynamic setting
- Experienced and competent in using IT, particularly MS Office, with an interest in developing its contribution to task management within the organisation
- Experience of project management, bookkeeping and proofreading are desirable.
The successful candidate will also:
- Demonstrate a genuine enjoyment and skill in minute taking
- Have excellent time management, administrative and organisational skills
- Have strong written and oral communication skills
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Be highly motivated, proactive and enthusiastic with the ability to work independently, using own initiative
- Have core values aligned to the organisation and a genuine interest in our purpose
- Be a confident team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to be flexible and adaptable.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary £32 to £34k per annum pro rata, dependent upon experience
Contract Permanent contract: either part-time or full-time
Hours Minimum of 2.5 days per week,with ideally at least a half day every day. A full-time role would be considered for the right candidate.
Leave 25 days per annum pro rata, plus bank holidays
Location Preference for a day or two per week in the office (Central London, zone 1), with the option to work remotely for the rest of the week
Start date Early December or early January
- Coverage through the HSF healthcare policy.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Up to 4 days a year additional time off in lieu for low carbon holiday travel through the Climate Perks scheme.
- 5% employer's pension contribution.
- Dedicated training budget for personal development, in addition to team-wide training budget.
Please email your CV (max two sides) and covering letter (max one side) to Anne Smellie. The closing date for the receipt of applications is 9 am on Monday 28 November. Applications received after this time will not be considered. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide individual feedback on applications.
Successful applicants will be invited to interviews (in person or virtual depending on circumstances) on week commencing 5 and / or 12 December.
The Aldersgate Group is a multicultural team. We are fully committed to equal opportunities, and we are actively seeking to increase the diversity of our workforce. We strongly encourage eligible candidates from Black, Asian, or other ethnic minority backgrounds, as well as candidates with disabilities, as they are currently under-represented in our workforce.