Programme Construction Manager
Are you an experienced Programme Construction Manager looking to Grow with Gatwick?
To support our growth, our construction team is expanding.
The Construction Department comprises several programme and project teams, along with technical support functions. They deliver Gatwick s Capital Investment Plan that enables the strategic growth of the business. Projects are delivered in a live airport operational environment.
What is the role?
Gatwick Airport is changing at an outstanding pace and this is an exciting opportunity for a Programme Construction Manager to be part of a high performing team building Gatwick s future infrastructure.
The Programme Construction Manager will play a key role in Gatwick s future, supporting the Programme Manager in the monitoring of construction related activity across a large strategically important, or multiple wider projects in a live airport operational environment.
What will you do?
Lead construction management across all projects within the assigned Programme.
Coordinate and deliver regular safety engagement (including safety tours, safety surveillance inspections and safety performance reporting) across assigned project(s) and associated contractor(s) to support the development and maintenance of a culture of world class health, safety, and environmental standards to deliver the highest levels of health, safety and environmental performance achievable.
Support the Design Management team with buildability input in the design stage of the project to ensure safety in design and comply with CDM requirements.
Review contractor Construction, Design & Management (CDM) and Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) submittals (including construction phase plans, risk assessments, method statements and work permits) and monitor compliance against accepted plans.
Review contractor Quality and Commissioning submittals (including Inspection & Test Plans (ITPs) and Daily Reports), reviewing quality and verifying content prior to submission to Programme Manager
Contribute to Front End Loading (FEL) design sessions including Business Engineering Alignment Meetings (BEAMs) to evaluate design in terms of feasibility and risk.
Lead the development of the assigned Construction Management team; set standards, manage, motivate, coach and mentor staff within the team. Recognise talent and assist in the development of those with high potential.
Inspect work and identify engineered solutions to issues to prevent delays to project schedule. Produce engineering solutions/field sketches to resolve site based queries, in conjunction with the Design Manager or Project Engineer.
Liaise with stakeholders to facilitate construction work that may include sourcing of compounds or access and security arrangements, all with a focus on striking the right balance between operational disruption and project cost.
Support the effective commissioning and handover of projects to ensure a seamless transfer into operation.
Support the continuous improvement of project delivery (including construction management) processes and procedures and implements process improvements as these are developed.
Support the technical evaluation of potential contractors and consultants as required.
Liaise with the Programme Design Manager to co-ordinate effective and efficient delivery of project activities.
Do you have what we are looking for?
- Qualified to Higher National Diploma (HND) level or equivalent in construction management or engineering related discipline. Prior experience may be suitable replacement in lieu of HND qualification.
- Experience as a Senior Field Engineer/Field Engineer on large infrastructure projects or multi year programmes of work with a value typically in excess of £25m in a relevant industry.
- Experience of leading small teams of up to 3-5 people highly desirable.
- Experience of multiple, interfacing, concurrent projects highly desirable.
- Experienced in the management of Health Safety & Environmental issues associated with the Construction industry and whilst working in a live operational environment.
- Good understanding of the importance of controlling and managing the project close out and handover process, including an understanding of Building Control requirements.
- Good practical problem solving skills.
- Good understanding of construction techniques & managing constructability issues.
- Good understanding of monitoring the management of quality.
- Good working knowledge of basic computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project etc.)
- Knowledge and understanding of NEC suite of contracts desirable. Experience of preparation of Project Manager Instructions and responses to Contractor Claims desirable.
- Personal resilience and the ability to manage ambiguity
- CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) card.
- Good understanding of Airport Operational Readiness (AOR) of Airport Facilities desirable.
What s it like to work here?
Our people tell us that working here is something special. Everyone is looking to deliver what matters to our passengers. There is so much that makes air travel possible. No day is like another. Our ambitions are only possible because of the people who work here.
We value all our people and their differences. It s what makes them unique. We will not give up on our goal of being an equitable, diverse, and inclusive employer. Encouraging and supporting our people to be their best. We seek different perspectives that redefine what s possible. Together we are a team.
Ready to join us?
Click apply and complete your application. We ll be in touch soon.
Our employees enjoy a range of personal, health and financial benefits, including annual leave as standard.